Thursday, January 2, 2014

January is going to be happy.

Like any other mom, I get cranky.  I have all kinds of moments when I nail this mom thing and really do the right thing.  But, I hate those moments when I don't.  I hate the way that I feel when I do yell. 

After a challenging day on New Year's Eve, I went out to dinner with my husband.  I was stressed from the day, but I knew that the kids didn't really do anything wrong and I told him so.  It was just me.  As we leisurely ate our dinner, we talked about the kids and how great they really were.  And, when we talked about how fast it was all going, I started to cry.  I cried because it really is going so quickly and I feel it slipping through my fingers.  I don't want to spend any more of my time angry and frustrated.  I know that's basically impossible, but, hey, it's a cool goal, anyway.

I woke up the next morning, calm and determined.  Unfortunately, the day wasn't as peaceful as I hoped.  So, I'm just not counting it and asking the universe for a do-over.

Today, January 2nd, on my official first day of the new year, I read this really great blog post about a mom who vowed not to yell at her kids for 365 days.  She is from the orange rhino and she is a very brave woman.  http://theorangerhino.com/about-the-orange-rhino/  I saw it on the Huffington Post and then followed it to her actual blog.


Here is an excerpt.... 

"It all started Friday, January 20, 2012. After our handyman busted me yelling at my 4 boys, I had an epiphany; I yell at my kids much more than I like. The next day I committed to going 365 days without yelling.  And to boot, I decided to keep a public blog to help keep me on task. A few days later, my 5 year old was yelling at me for something I did wrong, again. I calmly said, “Now, if mommy can’t yell what does that mean for you?” Finger in nose, he looked me right in the eyes and replied: “I can’t yell…but I can still pick my nose!”
Awesome. Purely awesome.  My son’s response was honest and witty, exactly the tone I hope to embrace in this blog. It was the perfect byline I had been searching for all week.  With the by-line done, the rest fell right into place. I have decided, at least for now, to be anonymous to protect my children’s privacy. So I needed a moniker."I typed “nose” into Google and “Rhino” popped up as the Greek meaning. I could be a Rhino. Rhinos are strong and cool, right? This was promising. Further research about Rhinos confirmed that I was already, indeed, a Rhino.

Rhinos are tenacious and vigorous animals who are naturally peaceful, but display aggressive behavior when provoked.

Wow. That’s me alright, minus the vigorous piece. I definitely don’t have the mental strength or energy. If I did, I wouldn’t let myself charge with my “words” so frequently!  I am totally a Rhino. But I don’t want to be aggressive; I want to lose that and gain the vigorous part. I need more warmth and energy. Clearly, I need a little more of the color Orange in my life especially since it also conjures up feelings of determination which I am most definitely going to need more of in order to conquer this challenge.

So there you have it. I want to be The Orange Rhino."


Two great things happened when I read her posts.  First, I felt less alone when I realized that it's not just me who loses my cool.  And, second, I felt inspired to stop losing my cool.

Like I said, I spent most of New Years' Eve feeling grumpy and the negative energy carried over to part of New Years' Day.  Yeah, I just don't want to do it, anymore. 

So, I've decided to take the challenge with some adjustments.  I'm going to start with a month because, to be honest, 365 days is a really, really long time to not mess up.  And, I'll have to come up with some fancy me-like name for my project.  But, not today. ;)

Today, I resolve not to yell/snap/speak gruffly (whatever you want to call it) during the month of January.  I resolve not to be overly negative and to spread positive energy, in general.  I won't raise my voice at my kids or my husband; no matter how tempted I might be.  I give myself a pass if someone or something is on fire, though, especially me. ;)  I also will allow myself to raise my voice if that's literally the only way that I can be heard.  Four kids in one room can be noisy!   

Then, after I have achieved this goal (hopefully!), I'm going to add another one, next month.  And, so on.  I figure, by the end of the year, I'm going to be a pretty amazing person, haha. 
 
Here we go!



No comments:

Post a Comment